The new testament encourages us to take care of one another over 84 times. The best way to do this is in small groups where you can make friends, find support and deepen your faith.
“They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.” (Acts 2:42)
What is a small group?
A small group is an intentional, face-to-face gathering, varying in size, regularly meeting together to accomplish agreed-upon Christian purposes. There are four basic types of small groups:
- Being – networking, fellowship, assimilation and recreational/leisure groups
- Caring – Support, recovery, life-stage and enrichment groups
- Learning – Bible studies, prayer, content-oriented adult education groups
- Working – Decision making, service, administrative and short-term task groups
And though each group may have a combination of these purposes, the primary purpose the group determines the type of group it is. (Taken from “So You’ve Been Asked To…Lead A Small Group” by Willy Nywening Reprinted with permission. Copyright © Faith Alive Christian Resources, faithaliveresources.org.)
Presently we at First Church have six small group opportunities in which you can participate:
Special Interest Monthly
- Pastor’s Book Club – Leader: Dora Griszell – Every third Sunday after 10:00 AM worship. Focus – books on Christian character
Monthly small groups may or may not be using the Sunday sermon curriculum. Always check with the leader.
- Denise Roman, Leader – Every 4th Wednesday, 7:00 PM.
- James and Indra Gangaram – Leaders of The book of James Circle, meets on a Saturdays, every other month, 4:00PM.
- Carlyon Terrell – Leader – Refuel Fellowship – Every Wednesday 12:45PM. This is takes place after the Refuel Worship Service in the lower Sanctuary and is open to anyone, not just ministry members.
- Stephanie St. Claire – Leader – Every Thursday 7:00 PM. This is a ministry-related small group (Flowing Psalm Dance ministry) that’s open to anyone, not just ministry members.
Weekly Bible Studies
- Rev. Patrick O’Connor, Leader – Wednesdays 7:00 PM in FPCJ Magill library.
Interested in joining a small group, starting one, or getting more information? Contact Rev. Chris De La Cruz at 718-526-4775, ext. 11 or email@example.com